By Jenny Anderson
Special to Today’s News-Herald
Let’s think about how we can improve the lives of our four-legged animal companions through support of the Western Arizona Humane Society. In the past year nearly 3000 animals were saved via adoptions or through reuniting them with their family. Yet, there are so many ways we can further this work. We are an animal-loving community, and we must do all we can to help our shelter guests find good homes.
· Volunteer: The shelter is always in need of dedicated volunteers. Volunteers receive training in policy and procedure and then assist in a variety of ways. Some of the common tasks include handling and transporting dogs for adoption events, exercising and socializing dogs, and giving felines the attention and care they need. Special events require the help of volunteers, too.
· “Paw-it-Forward”: A donation of as little as $10 helps pay for sheltering and food. When you sponsor the adoption of a cat or dog, that animal’s adoption, spay or neuter, and vaccinations are covered. By the way, adoptions are now being priced at nearly half the usual cost—just to make it more affordable
· Help prevent pet overpopulation by first checking a shelter or rescue for your next best friend. Come see the many adoptable dogs and cats at the local adoption events. Encourage every pet parent to alter their pets.
· Donate “in-kind” items, such as pet food, non-clumping clay litter, cleaning supplies (such as bleach, paper towels, etc.), and needed bedding. Check your shelter’s wish list for details. This helps reduce shelter expenses.
· Just stop in to visit the animals. Most were someone’s pet and need continuing interaction with kind people. A kennel environment can be a lonely place for a pet accustomed to being part of the family.
· Attend adoption events and bring your friends: February 13-15 at Pet Smart’s National Adoption Weekend, Feb. 20 at Broadway and Associates (corner of Swanson and Lake Havasu Ave.), and Feb. 28 at Pet Smart. All adoption events run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and adoptions are specially priced this month!
Any donations are tax deductible, whether money or “in kind” donations, and you can get a receipt for your records. Wags to Riches has lots of wonderful décor for all seasons, many household items, as well as clothing, so when shopping, be sure to stop by the store on Aviation Drive.
The Western Arizona Humane Society is open Monday-Saturday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., with kennel hours 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Call 855-5083 for details. To find lost pets, call 855-4111. View animals found at www.lhcpd.com.